Aiko Umesawa (梅沢 愛子 Umesawa Aiko) is a minor character featured in Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Despair Arc. She also appeared as a cameo in the OVA Super Danganronpa 2.5: Nagito Komaeda and the Destroyer of the World, as part of Nagito Komaeda's imagination world.
Aiko is a notably small and short girl with short, wavy, brown hair and a noticeable blush on her cheeks. She has heterochromia; her left eye is green, while her right eye is blue. She dons a yellow bunny hoodie over the standard Hope's Peak Academy's uniform. The ears seem to mimic her expressions—when she is frightened, the ears droop. She also wore black socks and white slippers that have a bow on the instep.
Aiko appears to be very childish and naive, openly worrying and complaining about the meeting time being so late despite the fact that they were sent a threatening video.
She panics easily, swinging her pan randomly when Asukasei Hino tried to shoot her. She is also quick to burst into tears and very afraid of death. The fact that she eagerly trusted Tomohiko indicates that she doesn't have trust issues and believe others quite easily. As a result of these traits, Aiko is extremely vulnerable in a killing game scenario, leading to her early demise when the Killing Game started.
Junko Enoshima gathered all of the Student Council and Izuru Kamukura in the old school building and forced them to kill each other. When the Killing Game started, Aiko picked a pan as her weapon and tried to defend herself when Asukasei shot randomly towards her. Her panic was lessened after Tomohiko reassured her that everything would be okay, causing her to lower her guard for a second. This resulted in her death as Tomohiko stabbed her in the abdomen before throwing her body to distract Asukasei.
Ironically, Aiko would indirectly avenge herself on her killer when he attempted to strangle Asukasei; the latter grabbed the knife from Aiko's corpse to stab Tomohiko in turn.
Aiko appeared as a cameo in the OVA, standing in front of the gates of Hope's Peak Academy in the morning.
Aiko was associated with Tomohiko and appears to have a strong trust in him, as seen when he "comforted" her and she let her guard down almost instantly. However, Tomohiko had actually been acting to gain her trust and murdered her immediately after she relaxed.
- Her given name, "Aiko" (愛子) means "child of love".
- Her last name, "Umesawa" (梅沢) means "plum swamp".
- Before her official name was announced, many fans nicknamed Aiko 'Pikachu girl' due to her bunny hoodie and blushing cheeks giving her a resemblance to Pikachu. As such, the name has stuck and sometimes she is referred to as such.
- Her English voice actress, Cassandra Lee Morris, also voices Aoi Asahina in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.
- Along with Soshun Murasame, Aiko is the only member of the Student Council to get an entire page to herself in the concept artbook for Danganronpa 3; all of the others appear in pairs.