|This article is a despair inducing stub!|
|The following article is a stub! As such, it is not considered to be complete regarding the information available for it for now. Your help is highly appreciated here. You can help the Dangan Ronpa Wiki by expanding it!|
|Birth date||March 14th (Pisces)|
|Height||160 cm (5' 3")|
|Weight||46 kg (101 lb)|
|Voice Actor||Kana Hanazawa (JP)|
|Family||Usami (Artificial Little Sister)|
Alter Ego (Brother/Creator)
Chihiro Fujisaki ('Father'/Creator)
|Game||Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair|
Chiaki Nanami (七海 千秋 Nanami Chiaki) is one of the characters featured in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. She has the title Ultimate Gamer (超高校級の「ゲーマー」chō kōkō kyū no “gēmā”).
She is actually revealed to be an AI along with Usami, created by Chihiro Fujisaki pre-despair and modified by Alter Ego to be a mole for the Future Foundation. She was the culprit of Chapter 5, where she was tricked into accidentally killing Nagito.
Chiaki has short, light pink hair which is slightly curled. She wears a white clip in the shape of the spaceship from Galaga to the side of her face and has pale pink eyes. She wears an unzipped dark green hoodie which has pointed ears on the top of her hood and two pink markings on the front. She is often seen wearing a pink cat-like backpack as well. Under her hoodie, she wears a white buttoned shirt with a pink ribbon and a pale brown skirt. Chiaki also wears black thigh highs and white shoes.
Chiaki normally has a sleepy disposition, but she concentrates hard when she plays games. She often helps Hajime Hinata during school trials and provides important points. Chiaki can also be stern when she tells people to do things and becomes a lot more lively when discussing games.
Chiaki has a number of unusual habits, such as dozing off while playing games and taking long pauses during her conversations to think everything she wants to say. She is extremely observant and analytical, but lacks knowledge on a variety of ordinary subjects.
She usually ends her sentences with a negative note even though she actually means to compliment someone or cheering someone, such as “...I think”, or “Maybe”. Hajime once said that sometimes he wishes that Chiaki would end her positive sentence with a positive note.
[Warning: Several spoilers follow this section!]
Prior to the Tragedy
Chiaki is not an actual human, and as a result, did not have a life before the Tragedy. Instead, after the Malefaction started, she was created as an AI along with Usami to moderate the others on the island. She, along with the basis of the Neo World Program, was created by Chihiro Fujisaki and modified by Alter Ego. This fact is revealed in the last trial, after Monokuma mentioned that both Chiaki and Usami were NPCs/Observers from the Future Foundation.
Island Life of Mutual Killing
Chiaki stayed unusually calm in upheaval, such as when Usami revealed herself and when Monokuma took over the island from Usami and began the Field Trip of Mutual Killing. She did not believe anyone would kill, however.
Chiaki was worried about Monokuma inflitrating the party Byakuya arranged, so she stood guard outside the old hotel lodge alongside Monomi in order to keep Monokuma out of it. She encountered Fuyuhiko, who happened to walk by the lodge (though she suspected that Fuyuhiko actually did want to join the party). Because Chiaki was his alibi, knowing he did not enter the lodge, he was exonerated from murder suspicion. Chiaki also played an important role along with Gundham, discovering a space under the lodge which the culprit had used as a spot to commit the murder.
In the second chapter, Chiaki attended the girls-only beach party, for which she brought ice cream and some board games to play. Chiaki was excited when Monokuma gave them a new motive, namely Twilight Syndrome Murder Case. She explained to Hajime that she was a fan of the game series. Chiaki as Ultimate Gamer showed her ability to explain and help him finding the game's True Ending by pressing the “Down button five times”, and with this they discovered a disclaimer that the game was actually based on a real-life event.
In the third chapter, to avoid catching Despair Disease, Chiaki along with Sonia, Gundham, Kazuichi and Hiyoko moved to the motel in the third island. Chiaki made a crucial discovery which heavily altered the scene of the crime. The black curtains in the meeting room at the hospital were used by Mikan Tsumiki to make it seem like it was at the live house.
In the fourth chapter, she stopped Hajime from entering the Final Dead Room. With the help of Nagito, Chiaki and Hajime were able to deduce the culprit.
Chiaki was revealed to have been the culprit in the fifth chapter. In an attempt to stop a fire, Chiaki accidentally killed Nagito, due to his efforts to reveal the traitor. Chiaki told Hajime that she was the traitor and he was forced to prove this to everyone. They voted for Chiaki relying on Nagito's luck, and it was revealed that she was the true murderer, even though Komaeda was trying to keep the traitor alive as they were not influenced by despair. Chiaki and Monomi were executed afterwards.
Despite her apparent death, Chiaki was able to appear in Hajime's thoughts during the final chapter's Graduation Session. Chiaki convinced Hajime to keep his head high, defeat Junko Enoshima and not to fall in despair. As the Neo World Program shuts down, Chiaki's voice could be heard, saying that she'll never forget anyone, as they will be friends forever.
- Main article: Please Insert Coin
Both Chiaki and Usami are AIs and share an almost sister-like relationship. The two are usually together, trying to protect the other students from Monokuma and from despair, as seen in Chapter 1 when the two were outside the beach house during Byakuya's party.
When Chiaki was found guilty and revealed as the mole for Future Foundation, the two were executed together.
The two's bond is especially evident during chapter 4 onwards and in free-time events. In the strawberry house in chapter 4, Chiaki is the only one who stops Hajime from entering the Final Dead Room, saying that he'd lose his way. During the Class Trials, Hajime frequently turned to Chiaki when the case seemed not to be going anywhere. Hajime generally sided with Chiaki during trials, and vice-versa.
When Chiaki confessed being the traitor in chapter 5, she relied on Hajime to prove her guilt. Much to the survivors' dismay, the group gave in to Hajime's reasoning and trusted Chiaki, believing that she was the murderer. Chiaki was also seen in Hajime's thoughts in chapter 6, willing him on to not despair.
Throughout various free-time events, it's hinted that the two were interested in each other romantically. In Chiaki's 4th free-time event, she fell into Hajime's chest while they were looking through storage boxes. Hajime commented about how fast his heart was racing and how they should meet together another time. In the 5th free-time event, the two of them “frolicked” around the island, with Hajime chasing her. It's later revealed that she wanted to have a “date” and was turning to Hajime for information.
At the end of the free-time event Hajime recollects that his partnership with Chiaki wasn't fake, and that if they escaped from the island, he would take Chiaki lots of places.
- “I'm Chiaki Nanami, the Ultimate Gamer. Video games are my hobby, and I'm a fan of all genres.”
- “Don't you think there's something that's way more important than whether or not you have a talent?”
- “Believe in yourself... If you don't have that... it doesn't matter how many talents you have, you still won't be able to hold your head up high...”
- “I won't... forget any of you... I'll... never, ever forget... Even after this... I'll always be cheering you on from somewhere... since we'll be friends for eternity.”
- “Bye bye guys. It's alright, a brilliant future will always be waiting for you. That's the truth, i'm sure of it. I know it.”
- “Don't forget... about me. Even if we leave this place... always...”
- “Hey, Nagito... I'm sorry, but can you please stop talking?” (to Nagito Komaeda)
- “NO, THAT'S WRONG!” (With Hajime Hinata)
- “Because you are the kind of person who would properly build his argument and analyse things. Over here, you are also the calmest when it comes to dealing with things...” (to Hajime Hinata)
- Nanami (七海) means “Seven Seas” while Chiaki (千秋) means “One Thousand Autumns”.
- Chiaki shares her birthday, March 14th, with that of her creator's, Chihiro Fujisaki.
- Another similarity between Chiaki and Chihiro is that both of them have kanji numerals in both their given names and last names, with the numerals in their last names both being 千 chi, which means "thousand".
- She enjoys any kind of video game, even games in “kusoge” genre (games intentionally designed to be unlikeable), with the exception of dating sims, the only genre she is bad at.
- Chiaki's e-Handbook states that she dislikes alarm clocks.
- Chiaki is the only character (along with AI Junko and Usami) who dies in the second game.
- In one of her free-times, she declared to Hajime that her father is a programmer. The “father” she mentioned is Chihiro Fujisaki. She also refered to Chihiro as her “father” in the fifth chapter's epilogue, where she also mentions Alter Ego as her brother.
- In her free-times, Chiaki will talk about or reference other video games, like "Trio The Punch", and "Dead Rising".
- In her cottage, the same "Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo - Danganronpa Another Episode" poster on the cinema can be spotted.