|Killing School Life|
|Occured||Inside the old building of Hope's Peak Academy, during The Tragedy|
|Number of Survivors||6|
|Number of Deaths||10|
|Anime||Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - The Animation|
|Game||Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc|
|Manga||Danganronpa: The Manga|
|Novel||Danganronpa/Zero (referenced) Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc IF (mentioned)|
The Killing School Life is a killing game that is the main focus of the plot in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. Unlike its prototype, this is hosted by Monokuma, which is continued in the Killing School Trip and the Final Killing Game.
Despite the success of The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy and its broadcast, Junko felt that the forced mutual killing was too psychotic and too stiff, thus missing excitement for her. Furthermore, she determined that a mascot is necessary as well - not even a host dressed in a sort of a cartoon character outfit would do. Lastly, she realized that an execution that utilizes things that the victim is familiar with and comforting in their daily life will bring about the greatest despair, especially if the victim's execution was broadcast to those that know the victim.
Therefore, she modified her next planned mutual killing into games with rules that limit the actions the killers may pull in order to make things more dramatic, resulting in the Killing School Life. It was hosted by a robotic bear known as Monokuma, and feature talent-oriented executions, first tested on Chiaki Nanami.
The story revolves around fifteen students who are trapped in the school under the control of a sadistic monochrome bear named Monokuma. They are forced to live a communal lifestyle together under a set amount of rules (included in the e-Handbook) for the rest of their lives, although it is possible to "disrupt the peace" in order to escape. In order to do this, a student must "graduate" from the school by murdering a classmate.
After a body has been discovered, the rest of the students must work together to discover the culprit, who is known as the "blackened", while the innocents are on the side of the "whitened," playing off of Monokuma's monochromatic color scheme. If the culprit can fool the rest of their classmates, then they alone can graduate the school while the rest of the students will be punished (executed). However, if the classmates uncover the true culprit, then the culprit alone will be punished with a gruesome execution while everyone else remains unharmed.
List of Rules
- Rule #1: Students may reside only within the school. Leaving campus is an unacceptable use of time.
- Rule #2: "Nighttime" is from 10 pm to 7 am. Some areas are off-limits at night, so please exercise caution.
- Rule #3: Sleeping anywhere other than the dormitory will be seen as sleeping in class and punished accordingly.
- Rule #4: With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore Hope's Peak Academy at your discretion.
- Rule #5: Violence against headmaster Monokuma is strictly prohibited, as is destruction of surveillance cameras.
- Rule #6: Anyone who kills a fellow student and becomes "blackened" will graduate, unless they are discovered.
- Rule #7: Additional school regulations may be added if necessary.
The following rules were added later:
- Rule #7: Once a murder takes place, a class trial will begin shortly thereafter. Participation is mandatory for all surviving students.
- Rule #8: If the guilty party is exposed during the class trial, they alone will be executed.
- Rule #9: If the guilty party is not exposed, they alone will graduate, and all remaining students will be executed.
- Rule #10: Lending your e-Handbook to another student is strictly prohibited.
- Rule #11: The guilty party may only kill a maximum of two people during any single "killing game."
- Rule #12: Attempting to break into locked rooms is strictly prohibited.
|Monokuma||Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy (self-proclaimed)||Active||Survives execution|
List of Participants
|Makoto Naegi||Ultimate Lucky Student/Ultimate Hope||Alive||Survives the Killing School Life; Escapes Hope's Peak Academy|
|Sayaka Maizono||Ultimate Pop Sensation||Deceased||Killed by Leon Kuwata |
(1st victim, 1st death overall)
|Kyoko Kirigiri||Ultimate Detective||Alive||Survives the Killing School Life; Escapes Hope's Peak Academy|
|Byakuya Togami||Ultimate Affluent Progeny||Alive||Survives the Killing School Life; Escapes Hope's Peak Academy|
|Chihiro Fujisaki||Ultimate Programmer||Deceased||Killed by Mondo Owada |
(2nd victim, 4th death overall)
|Kiyotaka Ishimaru||Ultimate Moral Compass||Deceased||Killed by Hifumi Yamada |
(3rd victim, 6th death overall)
|Celestia Ludenberg/Taeko Yasuhiro||Ultimate Gambler||Deceased||Executed by Monokuma |
(4th executed, 8th death overall; Killed Hifumi Yamada)
|Toko Fukawa/Genocide Jack||Ultimate Writing Prodigy (Toko)|
Ultimate Murderous Fiend (Jack)
|Alive||Survives the Killing School Life; Escapes Hope's Peak Academy|
|Aoi Asahina||Ultimate Swimming Pro||Alive||Survives the Killing School Life; Escapes Hope's Peak Academy|
|Sakura Ogami||Ultimate Martial Artist||Deceased||Commits suicide |
(1st suicide, 9th death overall)
|Hifumi Yamada||Ultimate Fanfic Creator||Deceased||Killed by Celestia Ludenberg |
(4th victim, 7th death overall; Killed Kiyotaka Ishimaru)
|Yasuhiro Hagakure||Ultimate Clairvoyant||Alive||Survives the Killing School Life; Escaped Hope's Peak Academy|
|Mondo Owada||Ultimate Biker Gang Leader||Deceased||Executed by Monokuma |
(3rd executed, 5th death overall; Killed Chihiro Fujisaki)
|Leon Kuwata||Ultimate Baseball Star||Deceased||Executed by Monokuma |
(2nd executed, 3rd death overall; Killed Sayaka Maizono)
|Junko Enoshima||Ultimate Fashionista/True Ultimate Despair|
Mastermind of the Killing School Life
|Deceased||Executes herself |
(5th executed, 10th death overall)
|Mukuro Ikusaba/"Junko Enoshima" (Disguised)||Ultimate Soldier
Ultimate Fashionista (Disguised)
|Deceased||Executed by Monokuma |
(1st executed, 2nd death overall; Attacked the headmaster)
Order of Deaths
|Order||Victim||Chapter||Cause of death and explanation|
|1st||Sayaka Maizono||Chapter 1|
|Sayaka attempted to murder Leon Kuwata but failed. In retaliation and panic, Leon stabbed her to death.|
|2nd||Mukuro Ikusaba (disguised as Junko Enoshima||Chapter 1|
|As penalty for violating the "no violence against the headmaster" rule, Monokuma impaled Mukuro to death.|
|3rd||Leon Kuwata||Chapter 1|
|After being exposed as Sayaka's killer, Leon was bombarded by baseballs by Monokuma.|
|4th||Chihiro Fujisaki||Chapter 2|
|Bludgeoned to death by Mondo with a dumbbell. He was later strung up by Byakuya Togami postmortem.|
|5th||Mondo Owada||Chapter 2|
|Electrocuted and turned to butter after being exposed as the murderer.|
|6th||Kiyotaka Ishimaru||Chapter 3|
|Bludgeoned with a hammer by Hifumi Yamada as part of Celestia Ludenberg's plan.|
|7th||Hifumi Yamada||Chapter 3|
|Bludgeoned by Celestia Ludenberg with hammer as the final part of her plan.|
|8th||Celestia Ludenberg||Chapter 3|
|Run over by a firetruck after being discovered as Hifumi's killer.|
|9th||Sakura Ogami||Chapter 4|
|To satisfy Monokuma's demand to commit a murder and resist his manipulation, Sakura committed suicide by drinking poison.|
|10th||Junko Enoshima and Monokuma||Chapter 6|
|Crushed to death after being voted guilty.|
Results and Aftermath
- The six survivors eventually joined Future Foundation. Toko Fukawa is a special case, as she did not become an official member due to her alternate murderous personality.
- Upon learning Junko's death, many members of the Ultimate Despair killed themselves, while those who did not ended up continuing on their despair-inducing acts and became known as the Remnants of Despair.
- Due to Makoto being seen as the person who defeat Junko, Monaca Towa attempted to make Komaru Naegi the successor to Junko.
|Hope's Peak Academy|
|Pre-Tragedy||Twilight Syndrome Murder Case • Izuru Kamukura Project • The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy • The Parade|
|During The Tragedy||The Tragedy • Demon Hunting • Forced Shutdown|
|Killing Games||Killing School Life • Killing School Trip • Final Killing Game|
|Gifted Inmates Academy|
|Killing Games||New Killing School Life|