|This article is a despair inducing stub!|
|The following article is a stub! As such, it is not considered to be complete regarding the information available for it for now. Your help is highly appreciated here. You can help the Dangan Ronpa Wiki by expanding it!|
|Height||75 cm (2' 6")|
|Voice Actor||Nobuyo Oyama (JP)|
Brian Beacock (EN)
|Family||Usami a.k.a. Monomi (Involuntarily Adoptive Little Sister)|
|Game||Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc|
|Manga||Danganronpa: The Manga|
|Novel||Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc IF|
Monokuma (モノクマ Monokuma) is the main antagonist of Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, and Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo - Danganronpa Another Episode. He is a strange teddy bear who proclaims himself to be the principal of Hope's Peak Academy and initiates a life of mutual killing among the students, being the manipulator for everyone to experience the dog-eat-dog world and despair within their hearts (except optimistic students like Makoto Naegi's hope are immune to his despair plan).
Prior to the series, this cunning and vile being is actually a model animatronic bear used as an avatar to interact with the students by the mastermind. There are seemingly infinite copies of Monokuma, and he seems to also have the ability to teleport everywhere within the academy compounds.
In Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, very soon after making his appearance, he assaults Usami (breaking her magic wand), greatly altering her appearance to look much more like him, changes her name to "Monomi" and takes her under his "care" as a "little sister" - ultimately taking her authority and commencing the Island Life of Mutual Killing.
Monokuma's entire face and body splits equally down the center into two sides. It resembles the Yin-Yang symbol of which there's a balance between good and bad. In some occasions, Monokuma would show his good side in regular conversation but would turn to his bad side when he's angry, merciless, or ruthless.
His right side is white in color and has the classic teddy bear expression. His left side shows a more sinister look. It's black in color and has a red slash for an eye and an evil, stretched grin. Although he is entirely split into two opposite sides, the only parts of Monokuma that aren't affected by the split is his muzzle and belly area; which both remain white. He also has a large and obvious bellybutton on the lower part of his belly. His bulging navel has an X mark on it.
Monokuma's personality is divided into two seperate parts: his “right”, or “white” personality, resembles a normal teddy bear who will act cute, innocent, or even patronising. As such, during the times where this side of Monokuma is alive, he may come off with a polite and stepford demeanor. Monokuma's “left”, or “black” personality, is a malicious, evil, and cruel upbringer: an ego who would do anything for the sake of despair. Upon being mad or bothered, he will attack the cause as an effect, yet most of the time, he may hold himself back, under the claim that he cannot hurt his 'beloved students'. Monokuma tends to laugh his trademark laugh of a sadistic “upupupu”. Monokuma also dislikes people who don't obey him, and will threat those who oppose his command.
Prior to the Tragedy
High School Life of Mutual Killing
Monokuma is first shown laughing at a man who has been tied in a rocket, after a second, Monokuma presses a button and the rocket launches and then crashes back to the earth, draining the man's body to a skeleton, Monokuma then laughs as then the screen turns black.
In the game, he appeared when the trapped students were gathered inside the gymnasium. He introduced himself as the Headmaster of the Academy, which later doubted by all students. He explain that he just commencing the Mutual Killing and the other stuffs such as the School Rules and e-Handbook which thrown the students into confusion and doubts.
Island Life of Mutual Killing
After it was revealed that Junko Enoshima was the mastermind behind it all and had gladly executed herself for it, the remaining six students unlocked the doors that led to the outside world. A glaring white light was all that was revealed before they made exit. A quick glance to the class trial room shows a face-down Monokuma that was assumed to be defunct. It laughs and leads the viewers to believe that there actually is another mastermind; not only that, but Monokuma himself says: "I'm Monokuma. I am you guys'... The academy's... Headmaster!"
This raises a question that Junko might still be alive somehow.
Mukuro and Monokuma do not get along, as shown by Mukuro always yelling rude comments at Monokuma and Monokuma usually retaliating back. Mukuro even went as far as disobeying Monokuma's rule, do not attack the headmaster, leading Monokuma to use the "Spears of Gungnir" killing Mukuro instantly. Monokuma, surprisingly, takes Mukuro's death well saying it was a warning to the other students.
When Monokuma shows up on the island, he adopts Usami as his little sister without her approval. Monokuma usually beats her up when she irritates him, which happens often. Monokuma also likes to make fun of her. He also always punches or harms her when she bothers him. Monokuma also shows no worry when he remembers that he is an only child and decides to execute Usami with Chiaki.
- “You’re at a picnic and you find a dead body! XD”
- “Do you have a hundred friends? T_T”
- “Just listening to you makes we want to pass out! Be more like Byakuya and get your poop together!”
- “So warm and wet, so wet and warm... I bet you guys - [REMOVED TO CONFORM WITH LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL CENSORSHIP LAWS] - all over her, didn't you?”
- “Did you just say I’ve got the nicest butt on the block? The curviest hips in town? Is that what you just said!?”
- “Whether I’m a mademoiselle or a dudefella? But in the bear kingdom, there IS no male or female!”
- “Upupu... This heart-thumping feeling of distress... It's just as if salmon suddenly started assaulting people...”
- “Making such "hope"-filled kids still each other— such a 'despair'-filled situation— My heart is all a-thump with excitement!”
- “Killing each other is killing each other. If you need a dictionary I have one right here.”
- “It's an all-you-can-kill, kill-or-be-killed, killing-killing-killing-all-around world!”
- “Let's give it all we've got! IT'S... PUNISHMENT TIME!”
- “You're still to young! You should value your lives a little more!”
- “Why, hello there! Thank you all for waiting! Now, let's begin!”
- “Then let's proceed with high spirits! This is the very last... Punishment Tiiiiiiiime!”
Bullet Talk Battle/Machine Talk Battle & Panic Talk Action Remarks
- “I can't hear you!”
- “Better luck next time!”
- “What are you talking about?” (Voice: “W-What are you even talking about?”)
- “What? What do you want?”
- “That's impossible!”
- “Proof, proof, proof!”
- “Punishment is waiting for you!”
- “You're getting all riled up!”
- “Enough already!”
- “Are you sure about this?”
- “I'm not listening!”
- “La-la-la! I can't hear you! La-la-la-la-la!” (Final Argument - BTB/MTB 1)
- “I tried to protect her identity?” (Final Argument - BTB/MTB 2)
- “You insolent fool! If you're saying he's not Makoto, then show me some proof!” (Final Argument - PTA)
- Monokuma's name is a combination on the romanization of “monochrome” (referencing his black and white color scheme) and クマ (“kuma”), the Japanese character for “bear”.
- Monokuma's first beta design showcased him with a human form. His "white" and "black" sides were originally a fully skinned side and one that exposes muscle and organs. It's and be assumed that he wouldn't have been named Monokuma if that beta came to fruition.
- Another beta showcases Monokuma similarly to how he is now with the exception of his bellybutton, the addition of paws, and a slimmer body.
- In Chapter 4 of the second game, it is revealed that he and Monomi both hate mice, their reasons unclear. (Most likely another reference to his resemblance to Doraemon, who is terrified of mice ever since a robotic mouse gnawed off his iconically-absent cat ears.)
- In one of the instances of "Monakuma Theater" in Chapter 4, Monokuma speaks in morse code. Translated, the message reads "BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR KUMATINE".
- It appears that Monokuma's red slash-shaped, “evil” left eye is meant to be similar to the symbol located on the front of Hope's Peak Academy's insignia.
- In the beginning of the second game's second class trial, after the students discuss the murders which took place in Hope's Peak Academy and inspired the Twilight Syndrome Murder Case, Monokuma and Monomi (who is tied up next to his seat) get caught up in a small discussion over how violent high school students have become nowadays. The humor behind this little exchange stems for the fact that Monokuma and Monomi's voice actresses, Nobuyo Ōyama and Takako Sasuga, respectively, are both senior voice actresses who are best known for the roles they have portrayed in some of Japan's most famous, long-running animated shows since the 1970's.
- In the end of the fifth chapter of the second game, Monokuma decides, apparently on a whim, to execute his “adoptive little sister” Monomi along with Chiaki Nanami - after the latter's words motivate Monomi to “finish off” Monokuma by grabbing onto him and self-destructing repeatedly (a plan that was, however, prone to fail as Monomi had around 10 spare copies at the time while Monokuma had novemdecillion (10^60)) - claiming that he “suddenly remembered that he's an only child” and that he has no reason to keep someone who does nothing but constantly interfere with his plans around. This is very reminiscent of how Junko Enoshima killed her twin sister Mukuro for the sake of her personal devices - a decision Junko later admits to have made on a whim as well.
- In Danganronpa IF, it is revealed that Chihiro Fujisaki created Monokuma's software after the characters' memories are restored. However, this event takes place in an alternate timeline, and so may or may not be true.
- His Japanese voice actress Nobuyo Ōyama is popular from her voice acting of Doraemon, which Spike Chunsoft purposely made Monokuma sound like.