|This article is a despair inducing stub!|
|The following article is a stub! As such, it is not considered to be complete regarding the information available for it for now. Your help is highly appreciated here. You can help the Dangan Ronpa Wiki by expanding it!|
|Title||Ultimate Lucky Student|
|Birth date||April 28th (Taurus)|
|Height||180 cm (5' 11") - (JP)|
175 cm (5' 9") - (EN)
|Weight||65 kg (143 lb)|
|Voice Actor||Megumi Ogata (JP)|
Bryce Papenbrook (EN)
|Family||Unnamed Parents (Deceased)|
|Game||Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair|
Nagito Komaeda (狛枝 凪斗 Komaeda Nagito) is one of the characters featured in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.
He has the title of Ultimate Lucky Student (超高校級の「幸運」chō kōkō kyū no “kōun”).
In Chapter 5, he tricked the traitor hiding among the group using his luck to accidentally murder him.
He makes an appearance in Ultra Despair Girls - Danganronpa Another Episode with his name listed only as "Servant" (召使い meshitsukai).
Nagito has messy shoulder-length white hair and light gray eyes. Both his hair color and unusually pale complexion are caused by his diseases. He still has few reddish/brown hairs, which hint at his original hair color. He has a rather tall and thin build.
He has a long dark green coat that goes down past his knees and has a jagged-cut tail. His coat has red squares on his right shoulder, and a large red number '55' on the back. He wears a plain white shirt with a strange red symbol on it. His pants are typical black jeans, and has a long chain that attached from the back to the front of them with a small skull charm attached to it. Each of his brown shoes has two zippers.
In Ultra Despair Girls, as the Servant, he wears a short, black trenchcoat, with three white buttons on the right and one red button on the left, over a scoop-necked dark red and olive green shirt, of which's cuffs are folded around the ends of the sleeves of the coat.
The lower hem of his shirt ends in dark beige frills. His coat has a zipper on the left and the right of the front, as well as one on the back. The servant wears black jeans with green and red shoes, with slight heels, tied with red shoelaces. He also has a collar around his neck, with a chain hanging from it in the front down to his knees.
The Servant is mentioned to be constantly smiling, no matter what kind of (mis)treatment he receives.
Nagito first comes off a polite, kind and harmless yet somewhat insecure boy, who encourages others to be hopeful and cooperate, but during the first trial he has a breakdown. After showing his true colors, he begins to ramble on about how hope is the most important thing in the world, and that hope that is created from beating despair is the most amazing feeling that one could have. Talking or hearing someone else talk about hope or in hopeful manner often renders him in a state of euphoric bliss.
He has little regard for his own well-being and doesn't care for his own life, in fact he encourages the other students to kill him as long as someone feels hope from it and believes that dying for the sake of hope is an honor. He also considers himself worthless when compared to the other Ultimate Students, constantly self-deprecating himself and claiming that he was born a talentless person who will never be considered anything special. Though he doesn't consider his luck a true talent, he mentions that it's the only good thing about him. Later, he finds his luck to be useful and tells the other students to believe in themselves and Nagito's own luck.
Nagito generally has a polite and laid-back demeanor, though his cheerfulness most likely isn't very genuine and he can be overly harsh and insensitive. Because of his dementia, he often isn't aware of the effect his behavior has on others and he has problems understanding other people's feelings and reactions. He shows very little genuine care or interest in others and prefers to do things on his own, but he is often lonely and tries to join the other Ultimates in their activities.
He is rarely shown angry, but killing for the sake of despair angers him greatly.
He is very smart as he often solves the case long before the others. However, he doesn't want credit for this, and often acts ignorant during the trials as he wants to see the other Ultimates figure things out by themselves. He also does this because he wishes to stay on the side until he can decide whether to aid the culprit or the other students. He appears to dislike lying and he rather tells the truth or speaks in vague manner instead of directly lying.
Nagito is sometimes conflicted between his bizzare beliefs and his own feelings. He believes that he is worthless and doesn't deserve any kindness from others, yet he desires to be appreciated and loved. Towards the end of the game, he even expresses a desire to become the Ultimate Hope.
[Warning: Several spoilers follow this section!]
Prior to the Tragedy
Nagito was born into a rich family, but he was also born with an extraordinary luck and thus his life has always been a turn between 'good luck' and 'bad luck'. The earliest known occurrence of this is when his dear pet dog was killed after being hit by a truck.
Later, during elementary school, his parents were killed before his very eyes after a meteor crashed into a hijacked airplane they had been on, letting him inherit all their fortune and become free to do whatever he wished, as he had no other relatives alive.
After his parents' death, during middle school, Nagito was kidnapped by a serial killer; although he was released after the police found him (it was implied that the killer let him go after they found out nobody would pay the ransom), in the garbage bag the murderer kidnapped him in, Nagito had discovered a lottery ticket. It was a winning one for three million yen; in that situation, the lottery ticket was the only good luck received.
Nagito's tragic and hopeless life caused him to develop a strong faith in hope, which turned into an unhealthy obsession. He didn't have any close ones, because other people were disturbed by his strange way of thinking and because he intentionally avoided other people in order to protect them from his bad luck. His cycle of good and bad luck made sure that any chance he might have at actual happiness would be cancelled. This worn him down to the point where he drifted through life without purpose, waiting to die and dreaming of dying in a way that gives hope to the world. He idolized Hope's Peak Academy and its students as the symbols of hope.
As a teen, he was diagnosed with lymphoma and frontotemporal dementia, with a life expectancy of half a year to a year (though, it seems his good luck allowed him to live much longer). After this, as a form of good luck, he was accepted into Hope's Peak Academy through winning a random lottery and he gained the title of the Ultimate Lucky Student. Jin Kirigiri, the headmaster, described him as a trouble maker, but a one who didn't really mean any harm.
At some point, Nagito fell to despair along with everyone else. It's implied that he joined the Ultimate Despair because he wanted to see it rise and fall, believing that no matter what hope would always win and despair would be destroyed in the end. He developed strange feelings of both hatred and love towards Junko Enoshima, the leader of the Ultimate Despair. After the death of Junko, he cut off his left hand and attached hers in its place, though it cannot act as a functional hand.
Ultra Despair Girls
Nagito was apparently captured by the Warriors of Hope. The kids made him wear a collar around his neck and gave him a new name - the Servant.
He was requested by Monaca Towa to save Komaru Naegi and bring her to their secret base. When Komaru wakes up, he tells her that he has a present for her and hands back her Megaphone Hacking Gun after he analyzed it. He told her to keep the fact that he had returned the Hacking Gun to Komaru secret.
He is later seen snapping the Monokuma Bracelet onto her wrist, surprising Komaru. He explains that if Komaru insists in removing the bracelet, it will explode. He also, once again, warns Komaru to not expose their secret.
He was seen again in Chapter 2 as the Warriors of Hope finish mourning over Masaru Daimon's death. He made the Warriors of Hope milkshakes, but he made them incorrectly as he had no guidance in order to make them, so they rejected it, and Nagisa Shingetsu, the new leader of the Warriors of Hope, orders him to drink the milkshakes himself, which he does, commenting that he's "everyone's servant."
Later the Warriors of Hope drew on his face and his legs were slashed by Genocide Jill.
Towards the end of the game, he helps Monaca out of the rubble and carries her on his back, telling her that she could be the second Junko Enoshima.
Island Life of Mutual Killing
Prologue - Welcome to Dangan Island! Panic at the Heart-Throbbing School Trip!?
Nagito was the first character of the second game that appeared. He was looking down on the protagonist, Hajime Hinata who just regained his consciousness after being transported to a strange tropical island called as Jabberwock Island.
After sometime, Nagito acted polite and kind towards everyone, even willing to accompany Hajime to introduce himself to the other students. He doesn't look panicked at all, knowing that he and the others were transported to a strange island. He even happily took Usami's presents after they succeed in gathering their very first Hope Fragments.
Chapter 1 - Destination Despair
Initially he displays some of his affection towards his fellow students when introducing them to Hajime. When Byakuya Togami suggests to throw a party, Nagito sets up a lot to determine the party duties, and through his "Ultimate Luck", ends up being the one who cleans the old lodge. He makes use of this opportunity to start the killings in order to become a "stepping stone for hope", but was eventually discovered by Teruteru Hanamura, who had duties to prepare food for the party.
His plan was to trip the circut breaker to cause a blackout. During this blackout, he used a lamp cord to lead himself to the table, under which he hid a knife covered in glowing paint. Just as he was about to grab the glowing knife, he was discovered by Byakuya, who brought night vision goggles in preperation. Byakuya rushed towards Nagito and pushed him out from under the table and proceeded to retrieve the knife. Byakuya then got stabbed by Teruteru, who was hiding under the floorboards intending to kill Nagito with an iron skewer. He reveals his attempted plans during the trial when he shows his true self, causing everyone to distrust him.
Chapter 2 - Sea and Punishment, Sin and Coconuts
Nagito was not present to investigate the new Island in Chapter 2 because he was tied up by Kazuichi Soda and Nekomaru Nidai to avoid another incident happening again. After the information was leaked out, people were assigned to provide him with his meals, as shown in the game where Mahiru Koizumi wanted to deliver Nagito his meals.
During the events of Chapter 2, he convinces Hajime to play the Twilight Syndrome Murder Case and helps him figure out that everything that happened was based on events that took place at Hope's Peak. Nagito was able to deduce the owner of footprint that left on the beach, Hiyoko Saionji.
The culprit's trap was also foiled by Nagito, when he stated that yellow gummy was deliberately abandoned by the culprit to frame Hiyoko. Hiyoko had never eaten yellow gummies, evidenced by the pack of gummies that Nagito found in Hiyoko's cottage. Because of this, Hajime, Nagito, and Chiaki Nanami are able to deduce that Peko Pekoyama killed Mahiru.
Chapter 3 - Trapped by the Ocean Scent
The next morning at the beginning of Chapter 3, Nagito along with Gundham Tanaka came late to the Restaurant, which broke the cozy atmosphere. He attended Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu's welcoming party that was held by Ibuki Mioda. Later, he, Ibuki and Akane Owari caught the "Despair Disease", the third chapter's motive, and Nagito, suffering from it the most, lost his consciousness from the beginning.
After Mikan Tsumiki treated him, he regained consciousness right when the third murder occured. During the investigation, he invited Hajime to watch the movie theater, and was able to deduce Mikan as the culprit and how she murdered Ibuki and Hiyoko during the Class Trial.
Chapter 4 - Do Ultimate Robots Dream of Electric Clocks?
Nagito held a major role in chapter 4. In Chapter 4, he becomes playable for the first time. In order to help with the investigation, Nagito took it upon himself to go into the Final Dead room and play the life threatining game. Using his incredible deduction skills and assisted by Monomi (who locked up inside the room by Monokuma).
Nagito managed to clear all of the challenging puzzles scattered throughout the room and earn the right to play russian roulette to access the Octagon. With a large amount of faith in his ability as the Ultimate Lucky Student, Nagito loaded the revolver with five bullets instead of one, and pulled the trigger against his head, giving him a one in six chance of surviving. He managed to survive, thanks to his talent and was granted acess into the Octagon.
By completing the Final Dead Game, he got a special prize from Monokuma, the sequel to the first Future Foundation file they had obtained after ride the roller coaster. Because it revealed absolutely everything- the truth of the students' identities as Ultimate Despair, their actions while in school and beyond, even Hiyoko's growth spurt, Hajime's identity as Izuru Kamukura - Nagito took it upon himself to purge a majority of the data, such that by the time Hajime and Chiaki got around to it, all that remained in a supposedly thick file was the sixteen students' profiles with no mention of anything that had occured in between.
They succeed to vote the right culprit, Gundham Tanaka who murdered Nekomaru Nidai because of Nagito know the "secret" of the surprise house.
Chapter 5 - Smile at Hope in the Name of Despair
In Chapter 5, with the knowledge Nagito now posessed, he came up with a plan to weed out the traitor among the group. Nagito set off an explosion in the hotel lobby, then threatened to blow up the rest of the island with bombs that he planted unless the traitor reveals themselves. As his deadline drew nearer, Nagito informed the group that the explosives were located in a place they have each been once, in an attempt to get them to split up.
By the time Fuyuhiko had discovered the bomb's location, Nagito had already prepared a video message on a laptop instructing the traitor to come forward and scan their e-Handbook in order to disarm the bomb. After a failed attempt by Chiaki, the bomb revealed itself to be full of harmless fireworks.
The group then went to the warehouse next door, where strange music was playing, only to discover a fire starting, to which the group immediately took the fire grenades from the employee's lounge and attempted to douse the fire. After the sprinklers kicked in and extinguished the flames, the group discovered Nagito's dead body, with stab wounds over his legs and a spear impaling his stomach.
During the Class Trial, the group was able to deduce that Nagito commited suicide, however it was not as it seemed. He purposely made it seem like a suicide when in reality, Nagito had planted a vaporizing poison in one of the fire grenades that the group used to extinguish the flames in an attempt to create a mystery that could not be solved. One student who didn't know at the time, threw a grenade full of poison that ultimately caused Nagito to die and thanks to his Ultimate Luck, that student happened to be the traitor, who revealed herself as Chiaki Nanami in an attempt to save her friends.
After the events of the Class Trial, Monokuma revealed that Nagito's true plan was to kill everyone except for Chiaki in an attempt to destroy the Ultimate Despair that he knew they all truly were.
Chapter 0 - Heading to the School Trip
Nagito was seen talking inside a boat with Izuru Kamukura in Chapter 0.
Rope Master - Nagito is standing on a platform that resembles a circus’s flying trapeze. Countless ropes are hanged onto the platform. Monokuma begins to cut off the ropes one by one, but none of the ropes are connected to anything. Frustrated, he punches the cutting machine and sets the platform on fire. Monokuma escapes, but Nagito with no ropes or any other way to escape dies. This execution is only shown in the Official Fanbook.
From the start, Nagito noticed that he and Hajime were similar somehow, as if they were both bystanders in something that didn't concern them. Prior to the chapter 1 trial, Hajime was the closest thing Nagito had to a friend—though his amiability may have been false, the connection he felt to him wasn't.
After revealing the part he played in the case, Hajime felt betrayed and terrified by Nagito, whom he had previously trusted and thought to be a good friend. Nagito remained fixated on Hajime even after he was revealed to be a talentless reserve course student, especially evidenced in his dialogue directly preceding the chapter 4 trial in which he stated that he still cares about Hajime. In chapter 5, Hajime's understanding of Nagito is what thwarted his plan.
It is heavily implied that Nagito's feelings for Hajime are romantic in nature. Several times throughout the story, it's shown that Nagito feels a genuine closeness to Hajime, such as when he claimed he doesn't like being around him when under the influence of the despair disease in Chapter 3. It's indicated that the reason he feels this way is because that despite knowing what kind of person he is, Hajime still tried to understand him.
In his fifth freetime event, he poured his heart out to Hajime, then quickly slammed the door on their relationship by falsely dismissing what he had just stated as lies. Due to the wording in Japanese, Nagito's last line in particular is heavily implied to be the beginning of a love confession that he decided to rephrase at the last second. His usage of “ai shiteru” also reflects this notion, as it's an incredibly strong phrase that even some married couples are hesitant to use.
It also should be noted that in the final Dangan lsland event, Nagito had a very hard time asking Hajime to be his friend, to which the latter agreed to.
In his character song, 劇薬 Poison, he mentions that he loves and wants to understand "him" more than anyone else.
Obtained from the MonoMono Machine.
- Kokeshi Dynamo
- Hope's Peak Ring
- Memory Notebook
- Mukuro's Knife
During free time conversations, the player will occasionally be given a choice on how to respond to something that is said. These are the 'right' choices.
- Hope is absolute good
- Absolute power
These will aid you, usually during Class Trials.
- Trance - Even low combos will increase the tempo. Effective during the Panic Talk Action.
- “Hey...Can you hear me...? Are you okay? ...You seem pretty out of it. To be honest, I'm also... No, everyone feels the same, too. Since we suddenly...got put in this weird situation. ...Hey, are you listening?” (to Hajime Hinata)
- “... I'm Nagito Komaeda. Nice to meet you.”
- “With everyone working together under such a splendid leader, we'll be able to overcome any difficulty!”
- “It'd be weird if you weren't worrying in a situation like this.”
- “For someone like me to be useful to you, and to even receive your words of gratitude...makes me happy.” (to Hajime Hinata)
- “I just want to believe in hope, you know?”
- “Do you understand? Hope is a positive force... Everything created by it is an absolute good!”
- “The fact that I'm alive right now is already hope!”
- “My ability is nothing more than having good luck... If it's not the result of one's effort, than it can't be used to accomplish something amazing, either. With or without it, the fact that I'm unremarkable being doesn't change. Ahah, it's different from all of you.”
- “Despair is... Like what i am compared to all of you, something minuscule, trivial and worthless!”
- “I don't want you guys to lose sight of yourselves because you doubt and hate me. I just...want to see you guys embody hope!”
- “All of you posses the qualities needed to be able to embody it... Do you understand? Hope, in other words, is a proactive will and talent... It's an absolute "good" that's brought forth by that! That's why, as long as there exist seeds of hope, I'll gladly kill a person... and gladly die myself. Since right now, my reason for living like this is hope itself!”
- “After all, we're both friends who yearn for hope!” (to Hajime Hinata)
- “You must be really bored to talk to a pest like me...”
- “Hmhmhm... Just thinking about the bad luck that's waiting for me is making me feel all tingly...!”
- “In my case, it always leads to such outcomes. However great the misfortune that i experience at first may be... The good luck that I will visit me later is grand enough to make up for all of it! That's the talent I possess... The reason i'm called "Ultimate Lucky Student".”
- “NO, THAT'S WRONG!” (to Hajime Hinata at the beginning of their Rebuttal Showdown)
- “There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are born with worth, and ever body else. No matter how hard a lowly human tries, they will never be the same as someone who was born worthy... They say that "effort breeds success"...But that's a complete lie. The world is not that accommodating.”
- “The Ultimates stand together and rise against the despair of the death of their friend! Ahhh.. such a magnificent... beautiful sight!”
- “It's not just luck.. It's true my talent is trash but I'm still the Ultimate Lucky Student, you know?”
- “'Meaningless'... No other word is more despair-inducing than that. But you mustn't give up! you must face forward with hope in your hearts, and do your best! You are the symbols of hope, because you can recover and rise up, again and again!”
- “I understand the pain of having nothing to do... But this is just despair that we have to overcome! In the end, everyone's hope will shine bright!”
- “Personally, I think it shows great courage to try understand something you don't understand.”
- “You are definitely someone who embodies hope.” (to Hajime Hinata)
- “Regardless...it's a power that has terrible results due to the fact that I can't wield it with my own will.” (talking about his talent)
- “But in the end, I obtained my freedom and immense inheritance.” (talking about his parents' death)
- “Your gracious invitation makes me want to cry... There's no way I could decline...!”
- “I just want to feel grateful for this good luck. I want to be thankful that there's someone who’s interested in trash like me.”
- “As soon as my life entered the final round, it quickly became a rollercoaster ride! But it's going to be all right... No matter the bad luck that happens, good luck always lies just beyond it.”
- “The reason I'm alive is because I always believe there's hope...no matter what.”
- “Nobody's ever complimented me on my appearance before! Not even my own mother!” (to Mikan Tsumiki)
- “Now then, Hajime. Will you battle against me?” (to Hajime Hinata before commencing their Rebuttal Showdown)
- “Now that I'm on the verge of death, I've finally realized what I wanted all along: somebody's love.”
- “Hahahahaha! Let’s commit the crime together so despair can become the foundation of hope!”
- “I'm sure a bright hope is sleeping inside you, too!” (to Hajime Hinata)
- “Please, don’t forget... From the bottom of my heart...I am truly in love with the hope that sleeps inside you.” (to Hajime Hinata)
- “A mystery that easy would make me sad. It wouldn't be good enough to serve as everyone's stepping stone...”
- “Yep, an understandable explanation! Just as expected from the Ultimate Gamer who excels at clearing games!” (to Chiaki Nanami)
- “We aren't supposed to doubt each other here, we're supposed to work together.”
- “The class trial is where we cooperate with each other, work hard, and aim for victory.”
- “The killer and everyone else... Two hopes attempting to grasp the one, true hope...”
- “Two hopes clashing with each other is poetry in motion! That...is what a class trial should be!”
- “I'm on the side of the absolute hope that can overcome any despair. And I believe that absolute hope...exists at the point where two hopes clash.”
- “Huh? You seem distressed. A mere tool doesn't panic like that, right?” (to Peko Pekoyama)
- “It was supposed to be a clash between two hopes, but it was crushed into something so unpalatable...” (talking about Peko's execution)
- “Even this despair...is just a ladder to a bright, shining future that awaits us! The higher the ladder, the brighter we can shine... That is the unmistakable truth!”
- “Haha, the hopes of all the Ultimates here will definitely, completely, utterly destroy you. There won't even be a strand of cotton left when we're done with you... That's your future.” (to Monokuma)
- “I just think warming up is really important, especially since this isn't a game.”
- “Oh, I'm so happy I'm getting goosebumps! Everyone actually needs help from scum like me!”
- “That's amazing, Chiaki! All that gaming has given you incredible deduction skills... Is it okay to say that?” (to Chiaki Nanami)
- “Investigating with a suspect in mind creates a different result than investigating with no leads...”
- “Not everyone cooperates at a class trial... Those who lie and conceal the truth will obviously be here too...”
- “But even a drunk medical student can notice the difference between a hanging and strangulation.”
- “I know because I was looking at Mikan for so long. She was the one taking care of me, after all. My consciousness kept drifting but even so, when I did catch a glimpse of her, her expression was... Full of despair. A despair so devoid of hope that not even a single fragment of it remained.” (talking about Mikan Tsumiki)
- “The symptoms that she surely felt must've been deserving of the name, Despair Disease. Losing all hope...and harboring despair for all hope...” (talking about the Despair Disease)
- “I mean, killing someone for the sake of despair, instead of for the sake of hope... There's no way I can forgive that.”
- “C'mon, let's take all this despair and change it into hope!”
- “Awesome! We’re starting to see the light of hope!”
- “Absolute hope that can break through any despair can never lose in a place like this!”
- “After all, the only good thing about me is how lucky I am.”
- “I shouldn't made fun of Hajime. Deep down, I always wanted to become a protagonist myself...”
- “Ah, you guysWstillthinkyou're n0tg0nad13ors0m3th1ngWWWstopitstopitd0ntmst0p12”
- “I believe my actions will become the foundation of this world's hope. And...if that really happens...”
- “Praise me. Tell others what I've accomplished. Erect a bronze statue of me. Respect me. Please call me...the Ultimate Hope.”
- “Now, do your best. My common, boring worthless protagonist with weak character...” (talking about Komaru Naegi)
- “But... it is an order, so I have no choice. I am everyone's servant, after all... ahahahaha.”
- Nagito's report card states that:
- He likes “pretty things” and dislikes noisy places,
- His Blood type is O,
- His chest is 33 in.
- The Servants profile states that:
- He likes Pure things and beautiful people and that he dislikes noisy places and ugly people.
- “Nagito” (凪斗) as a name means “Calm Below the Dipper”, as in the big dipper constellation, while “Komaeda” (狛枝) translates as “Lion-Dog Tree Branches”. Lion-Dogs are statues that protect and guard shrines in Shintoism. The kanji used are rather old and classical, which may allude to an old family line or an upper class background.
- One of his favorite hobbies is reading. This is implied in the main story, when Hajime and Chiaki find several books inside his cottage. In Island Mode, he mentions that he could stay in a library for hours. He also explains that reading is possibly the most peaceful way for him to spend time, because he isn't affected by his luck cycle that much while doing it.
- In Island Mode, he expresses intense fear towards fighter jets and it's strongly implied that he may suffer from Aviaphobia, the fear of flying.
- He is a "darker" parallel to Makoto Naegi. His name is an anagram for “Na-e-gi Ma-ko-to da” (苗木誠だ), which translates to “I am Makoto Naegi”. Both Nagito and Makoto's appearances are slightly similar, they are both the Ultimate Lucky Student, and both share the same voice actor in both the English and Japanese dubs. Additionally Monokuma mentions more than once that Nagito definitely reminded him of "someone".
- Nagito's Free-Time Events reveal that he was diagnosed with late stage lymphoma and progressed frontotemporal lobe dementia.
- It should be noted that the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia include delusions and loss of social awareness - which could explain the less pleasant sides of Nagito's personality.
- According to Super Dangan Ronpa 2's official artbook, the second draft of Nagito's beta design is based on an “absolute rival” concept, while the third draft is based on imagination of a darker version of Makoto.
- It should be noted, however, that while Makoto's luck doesn't play a truly crucial role in his life and is actually pretty harmlessly bad, Nagito's radically fluctuating luck is truly a marvelous phenomenon, which has had a significant influence on his entire life.