|Birth date||June 30th (Cancer)|
|Height||172 cm (5' 7.5")|
|Weight||51 kg (112 lb)|
|Voice Actor||Kotono Mitsuishi (JP)|
|Game||Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair|
Peko Pekoyama (辺古山 ぺこ Pekoyama Peko) is one of the characters featured in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. She has the title of Ultimate Swordswoman (超高校級の「剣道家」chō kōkō kyū no “kendō-ka”).
Peko wears a black or dark turquoise schoolgirl uniform with a red tie or ascot. Her skirt is somewhat short, and wears dark tights underneath with white shoes. She has long, silver hair that she ties up into two braids on each side of her head with white ribbons holding each braid at the sides of her head, and two red ties hold each braid together at the bottom. Her eyes are also bright red. She is constantly seen carrying her shinai (bamboo sword) around with her in a dark turquoise sheath/wrap with a silver/white design on the back. At one point in the game, she admits that her appearance has been mistaken for cosplay before, and strange cameramen have tried to take pictures of her. Nekomaru Nidai also experienced this and they were seen to talk about their 'striking' appearances.
[Warning: Several spoilers follow this section!]
Peko comes off as a very serious and stern woman who shows little to no emotions. She speaks with an authoritative tone of voice, and she is mostly business. However, she is not antisocial or unwilling to stay around the other students, even agreeing to attend Byakuya Togami's party in Chapter 1. In her first Free-Time Event, she reveals that she has a strong affinity for animals, though they themselves do not share the same feeling.
Near the end of Chapter 2, it is suddenly revealed that she is the personal bodyguard and hitman of Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu, having been taken in and raised like so by the Kuzuryu family. She sees herself as not a human being, but rather as a tool, with her only purpose in living being to protect and follow the orders of Fuyuhiko.
[Warning: Several spoilers follow this section!]
Prior to the TragedyEdit
As a baby, Peko was given away by her own family and taken in by the Kuzuryu Family, a known yakuza group. From a young age, she was raised alongside the family's young son and eventual heir, Fuyuhiko, and trained to be his personal hitman and bodyguard. She became extremely loyal to him, eventually coming to see herself as a tool meant only to follow her young master's orders.
Peko is an extremely talented swordswoman, able to beat grown men in kendo.
Island Life of Mutual KillingEdit
Peko was one of the students who did not panic when the class was transported to the Jabberwock Island. She, along with everyone else, went exploring after Usami dismissed them.
Before speaking extensively with anyone else on the island, Peko is pulled aside by Fuyuhiko, who orders her to keep their relationship a secret from the other students. Peko complies and acts as though she and Fuyuhiko have never met from then on.
Peko first introduces herself to Hajime Hinata in the lobby of the Hotel Mirai; Hajime is immediately taken aback by her intimidating aura. Peko later joins her classmates in relaxing at the beach at Usami's suggestion. When Monokuma appears and introduces the rules of the School Trip of Mutual Killing, Peko expresses concern over the safety of the group. She later expresses support for the idea of promoting Byakuya Togami as the appointed head of the students.
During the party in the old building, Peko volunteers to guard the duralumin case full of items confiscated by Byakuya. She takes the case to the office along with a plate of food and intends to stay there for the duration of the party, but she is forced out of the office to use the bathroom when she is struck by inexplicable stomach cramps. While Kazuichi Soda initially doubts Peko's innocence during the Class Trial, she is eventually cleared of suspicion in Byakuya's death.
Monokuma's motivation in Chapter 2, the Twilight Syndrome Murder Case, caused Peko to murder Mahiru in order to save Fuyuhiko who had sought to avenge his younger sister. Fuyuhiko had been angered at Mahiru when he went to talk to her, but before he could do anything, Peko turned up and attacked Mahiru instead, killing her instantaneously by blunt force trauma to the head with a metal bat. Before she killed Mahiru, she brought Hiyoko Saionji to the crime scene then drugged her to frame her for killing Mahiru. After ushering Fuyuhiko away, she left the bat and a mask of a cartoon heroine at the scene, along with some red herrings to turn the suspicion to Hiyoko. Later, after removing Mahiru's corpse, her body become full of Mahiru's blood and forced to remove it by take a bath using the mineral water from the Beach House since the shower are broken. She returned to Sonia Nevermind's party soaking wet, and told to the groups that she recently took a 3 hour swim.Despite that, at the Class Trial, Hajime singles out Peko as the murderer against Fuyuhiko's protests. She doesn't try to defend herself, but rather, suddenly 'reveals' herself as Sparkling Justice using a Sunny Witch ♪ Esper Itou-chan mask, a serial killer who revolves around justice and murders criminals, which Sonia had mentioned. She goes on a long-winded (and somewhat comical) rant about how murder to preserve justice is justified, causing the students to hastily vote her out as the culprit. Too late, Sonia provides evidence as to why Peko couldn't possibly be Sparkling Justice as the serial killer was not Japanese in the first place.
As the voting had already ended, it is revealed that Peko had actually known Fuyuhiko prior to the Island Life of Mutual Killing, being his personal hitman and bodyguard. She had everyone vote for her on purpose as in her scenario, she was only a tool and Fuyuhiko was the true culprit, and he was able to escape alive which was her sole goal from the beginning. However, Fuyuhiko refutes this and denies Peko's existence being a mere tool, instead saying he wanted her to stay as a true human being and his friend. Though seemingly somewhat disappointed, Peko expected that it would happen. Resigned to her fate, Peko is taken to her execution. Fuyuhiko was brought into the middle of the execution with accidentally attacked Fuyuhiko with her sword, blinding his right eye. She then shields his body in order to protect him from being killed in her execution.
- Main Article: One Woman Army
It is revealed at the end of Chapter 2 that Peko was raised in the Kuzuryu household, and was assigned to be Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu's personal hitman and bodyguard, meaning she was always around him since young. She orchestrated Mahiru's murder in an attempt to save Fuyuhiko from the Island and send him back home. In the Dangan Island alternate ending, she has feelings for Fuyuhiko. In the main story, she's still very close to him, willing to protect him at all times and it proved in her execution when she immediately protect Fuyuhiko from the wooden warrior monster attack him. In the Sixth 'Trial', he heard her voice speaking to him to snap out of despair, similar to Chiaki Nanami's voice that Hajime heard.
- “My name is Peko Pekoyama. It is nice to meet you, too.”
- “I'VE SEEN THROUGH IT!”
- “Even with lost memories, the moves that the body has memorized cannot be forgotten so easily.”
- “They gave me a reason to exist. I am to fulfill my duty as my young master's 'property'.”
- “No matter what I am told, I am nothing but a tool for killing... If my young master intends to kill, then it is only natural for me to act as his tool.”
- “If you think humans cannot be tools, try telling that to all the men and women out there destined to only ever be means to an end.”
- “Anyway, until now, I tried to think of myself as being just a tool. I thought it would be fine just as long as I was his tool. But now, I want to accompany him to his destination. I want to see the scenery he sees. Not as a tool… but as a comrade.”
- “So we don't get lost...? Is this island really so big?”
- Peko's first name (ペコ), is written in katakana (one of two Japanese syllabaries usually used to write loanwords and foreign names) and so doesn't have any special meaning. Pekopeko (ペコペコ), however, is a sound effect (onomatopoeia) often used for bowing. The repetition effect is reflected in her name.
- “Pekopeko” can also mean “obsequious” or “servile” - befitting the fact she was raised by the Kuzuryu family to be Fuyuhiko's “tool”.
- Her last name, Pekoyama (辺古山), is composed of 辺 - “border” or “vicinity”, 古 - “old”, and 山 - “mountain”; making the meaning of the name “Pekoyama” something along the lines of “around the old mountain”.
- Peko's voice actress, Kotono Mitsuishi, also voiced Sailor Moon. She was one of the few voice actors specified by the creators to portray a specific character.
- She also shares the same birthday as Sailor Moon, June 30.
- She presumably learned about the serial killer Sparkling Justice from Sonia, since she heard Hajime and Sonia talk about the serial killer in the library when the group investigated the second island for the first time.
- The mask she claims to don in the second trial shares characteristics with one of Japan's most prominent mascots, Peko-chan of Fujiya Co., including the outward sticking tongue.
- Peko's mask, known as Sunny Witch ♪ Esper Itou-chan, is blond and wears a golden tiara with aquamarine gems - making her somewhat similar in appearance to Sailor Moon.
- She likes the color black and hates candy.
- Her free time events reveal that despite her fondness for animals, they always seem to run away from her.
- Her Bloodtype is O.