|Title||Ultimate Pop Sensation|
|Birth date||July 7th (Cancer)|
|Height||165 cm (5' 5")|
|Weight||49 kg (108 lb)|
|Voice Actor||Makiko Ohmoto (JP)|
Dorothy Elias-Fahn (EN)
|Game||Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc|
|Manga||Danganronpa: The Manga|
|Novel||Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc IF|
Sayaka Maizono (舞園 さやか Maizono Sayaka) is one of the characters featured in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. She has the title Ultimate Pop Sensation (超高校級の「アイドル」chō kōkō kyū no "aidoru"), as she was the singer of a popular idol group in Japan. Sayaka used to be in the same school with Makoto Naegi, though the two did not talk much back then.
She was killed by Leon Kuwata in Chapter 1 after attempting to do the same to the latter.
Sayaka is considered very attractive, as she is adored by fan girls and boys alike. The obvious blush and eyeliner suggest that she often wears makeup to help keep this appearance. She has long, dark blue hair, with several hair clips and dark blue eyes. Her casual attire consists of a sailor-like, white-and-blue schoolgirl uniform with a pink bow on the front, a plaid blue skirt and black socks that end at her thighs with brown, buckled shoes. Sayaka's idol clothing is a sleeveless pink and white dress with a pink ribbon and ruffles at the bottom, which ends just a little bit above her knees. She also wears an intricate matching ribbon on the right side of her hair and white knee-high boots. Her hair is tied into two pig tails with pink clips on her bangs.
Seeing as she's an idol, it's expected of Sayaka to have a cheerful and supporting personality. Sayaka develops a bond with Makoto, whom she considers her friend, assisting him on every occasion in Chapter 1. However, she tends to hide her feelings when she is under great pressure by putting on her public persona. She also clings tightly to her band members, and would not hesitate to do something if anything were to happen to one of them, including things that could hurt others.
She mentions that she often finds herself focused on a particular person, but pushes these thoughts out of her mind to commit herself further to her idol career.
[Warning: Several spoilers follow this section!]
Prior to the TragedyEdit
Sayaka was raised solely by her father. Since he always worked until late every single day, she often spent her time alone at her home. The only thing that kept her from feeling lonely was the idol live show which she watches on television. For Sayaka, those idol girls’ smiles were her source of strength. Afterwards, she became very determined to become one because she also wanted to give strength to other people. She even prepared to do anything in order to make her dream come true.
Sayaka and Makoto used to go to the same school, Blackroot Junior High. They were not really close because they weren't in the same classes and social groups. However, there was a time when she saw Makoto nursing an injured crane back to health after it got lost and stuck at the pool in their school. This action moved Sayaka, and later she would try to get to know Makoto more. Unfortunately, they ended up graduating without ever talking to each other.
High School Life of Mutual KillingEdit
Sayaka and Makoto went to the same academy, who later brought them up to the killing game. When Makoto set out to meet his classmates, he saw Sayaka. Both immediately recognized each other and as a result, were familiar enough to attempt a conversation. However, they were cut off short by Kiyotaka Ishimaru (Byakuya Togami in the anime). Later, Sayaka assigned herself as some sort of assistant for Makoto. She also asked for his help to look for a weapon in case self-defense was needed.
After Monokuma gave the students a motivational DVD to watch, Sayaka immediately panicked, since the DVD showed her band members lying on the floor, apparently dead or very hurt. The DVD pushed her over the edge, leaving her willing enough to devise a plan to murder Leon and frame Makoto by inviting the former to her room and swapping rooms with the latter. Unfortunately, her plan backfired, and Leon ended up killing her in the shower room. With the last of her strength, she wrote Leon's name (11037) on the wall behind her using her blood, Kyoko Kirigiri stated that there was a possibility that she wanted to make amends to Makoto.
Island Life of Mutual KillingEdit
Sayaka was mentioned by Makoto who joined the Future Foundation in order to secure the Neo World Program which finally went wrong. Makoto used her dying message "11037" as the abandoned Hope's Peak Academy building password in Jabberwock Island. Makoto told to Hajime Hinata that the reason he set 11037 as the password because a certain person (Sayaka) left that number behind to save him from trouble, proving that Makoto believed Kyoko's theory and remembered her dearly.
Sayaka Maizono's Final Performance - Sayaka is placed on a stage in the form of a giant mantrap along its edge, complete with a meter to score her. She is required to sing in order to fill the aforementioned meter until it's full. However, just as the meter is about to reach the highest score, Monokuma destroys it, triggering the 'Failure' condition. This causes the giant mantrap to slam shut, killing Sayaka instantly. This execution is only shown in the Official Fanbook.
Before the events of the first game, she and Makoto went to the same middle school, but never talked to each other due to being in different social standards. However, she becomes interested in speaking to Makoto after seeing him nurse an injured crane when it got lost and stuck in the pool at their school. Unfortunately, both of them ended up graduating without having any contact.
In the game, she eventually had a chance to talk with Makoto and befriended him. Mutual attraction formed between the two and several parts in the game hinted that she actually has feelings for him, even going so far as to act as his "assistant." However, after she received her "Educational DVD" from Monokuma, she falls into despair. Makoto tries to comfort her and allows her to sleep in his room when she was scared. This is later revealed to be an attempt to frame Makoto for the murder of Leon, but her plan backfired, and she ended up being killed by him in the process.
Before dying, she wrote Leon's name (read as 11037) as a hint for the culprit. Whether she really tried to save Makoto from being framed as the culprit or she wrote Leon's name as an act of revenge is unknown, however Kyoko theorized that she tried to save Makoto, and he believed that.
The manga adaptation explicitly demonstrates that Sayaka wrote Leon's name in a deliberate attempt to save Makoto from suspicion. However, this is not considered canon. Danganronpa IF also hints that she regretted her actions. Her scheme to frame Makoto was interrupted by Makoto fainting, and was therefore never carried out. Very concerned and worried, Sayaka took him to the infirmary, intending to watch over him until she was interrupted by Mukuro Ikusaba. Later, when pressured about it by Monokuma, she appears nervous and unhappy, vowing to tell her friends what she had almost done when the current crisis is over.
In Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Makoto explains to Hajime that he set 11037 as the code to save the remaining students because it is a number that refers to someone who saved him when he was in trouble. Later, Hajime also used this information to shake off the fake Makoto/Monokuma from manipulating the students.
Sayaka's Japanese voice actress said in an interview (in Danganronpa THE ANIMATION Official Complete Book) that Sayaka's character song, 'Monochrome Answer', might hint at her relationship with Makoto before the high school life of mutual killing.
Sayaka and Leon developed a relationship after Leon decided he wanted to be friends with her because of his ambition to change his talent from Ultimate Baseball Star to Ultimate Musician. Leon found Sayaka had the same passion he did, so he wanted to get closer to her (shown in the manga).
But when Sayaka felt uneasy and depressed, she started to plan a murder. She chose Leon as her victim because she thought that she was close to him, and planned to frame Makoto. In the end, her plan backfired as Leon were able to counter her, which led her to flee to the bathroom. In the manga version, Leon decided to follow Sayaka so he could calm her down, but ended accidentally murdering Sayaka.
Obtained from the MonoMono Machine.
- Kitty Hairpin
- Eternal Friendship Bracelet
- Love Affair Ring
- In-Vitro Rose
- Cherry Blossom Bouquet
During free time conversations, the player will occationally be given a choice on how to respond to something that is said. These are the 'right' choices.
These will aid you, usually during Class Trials.
- Melodious Voice - Increases damage dealt during MTB.
- “Hi, I'm Sayaka Maizono. I look forward to getting to know you!”
- “I can read minds. ...Relax, it's a joke. I just have good intuition.”
- “Cuz I'm psychic! ...Ehehe. Kidding. Kidding!”
- “Er, this is... It's just like you said... I came here and suddenly fell asleep. It looks like we're all in on the same boat...”
- "I will be your Ultimate Assistant!"
- “I know I said I wanted to talk, but when push comes to shove, I don't know what to say...”
- “I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR ANY OF THIS!!”
- “THERE'S NO ONE WHO WILL HELP US!”
- The Kanji reading for her last name is 舞 mai - "dance" and 園 sono - "garden", referring to her idol background, while her first name is written in hiragana as 'さやか', making it strictly phonetic. There are many existent kanji spellings for "Sayaka", the most common translating as "bright" with other possible spellings meaning "blossom", "crystal", "lovely", etc.
- Two of Sayaka's songs (Wish Ensemble and Monochrome Answer) were released on bonus discs with the anime. They are both sung by her voice actress Makiko Ohmoto.
- A third unnamed song of hers is also featured in one of the drama CD's.
- In the beta version of the game, Kyoko was killed in the first chapter instead of Sayaka.
- In the demo version of the game, to avoid spoiling the story proper, Hiro was the one killed instead of Sayaka.
- Sayaka actually enjoys cooking, despite her career as an idol.
- Her death is similar to that of Nancy Spungen, who died in a hotel bathroom with a fatal stab wound to the abdomen. Nancy at the time was the girlfriend of Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols - one of the bands Leon mentioned that would inspire his future punk band. The connection could be intended or simply irony.
- Sayaka's Birthday, July 7th, coincides with Tanabata, also known as The Festival of the Stars.
- The Japanese festival Tanabata celebrates the annual reunion of the mythical lovers princess Orihime (represented by Vega) and cowherd Hikoboshi (represented by Altair), who were separated across the heavenly river Amanogawa (the Milky Way) by Orihime's father, emperor Tentei. After witnessing his daughter's subsequent sorrow, Tentei has decided to allow the couple to meet once a year on the seventh day of the seventh month (when Altair and Vega intersect).
- The story of Orihime and Hikoboshi is somewhat similar to the relationship between Makoto and Sayaka: They were both interested in each other during middle school, where they failed to find the chance to talk, and only had very brief time together in Hope's Peak Academy before Sayaka's death.
- Makoto is also considered "normal" (like the simple cowherd Hikoboshi), while Sayaka is a famous, talented idol (like princess Orihime, who was also talented at weaving).
- Sayaka's English voice actress, Dorothy Elias-Fahn, also voices Chihiro Fujisaki and Alter Ego.
- Sayaka says in her free-time event, in response to Makoto's answer 'crane', that she's the crane he rescued at that time during middle school and that she wants to weave clothes for him. This is actually a reference to a popular Japanese folktale, Tsuru no Ongaeshi or "The Crane's Return of Favor". In the story, a crane which was saved by a man disguised itself as a woman and devoted herself to help him make a living by weaving beautiful fabric for him to sell. However once the man realized that it was the crane who sustained him, she was already gone. The story is somewhat similar to chapter 1, where Makoto learns only during the class trial that in her dying moments, Sayaka used whatever power she had left to clear him of suspicion.